The strength and fitness industry has for too long been dominated by overly-tan, annoyingly-loud YouTube celebrities with less than factual content, aka broscience. Tune in to Strength Chat – hosted by a group of Coaches and Athletes with over 60 years of combined experience – as they talk fact, science, and strength with world-renowned strength, conditioning, and rehab professionals.
Dave Tate’s life motto is “Live, Learn, Pass On”. This is something we wholeheartedly can get behind here at Kabuki Strength, as education has been a cornerstone of our company since it’s very beginning.
Today our hosts sit down with Dave and talk life, business, and challenges faced in this industry. Dave has years of experience in Powerlifting and strength sports, and his insight is invaluable.
Tune in and hear from one of the industry’s most iconic and successful leaders!
- Introduction and background of guest [02:57]
- David shares his mentoring/training philosophy [05:30]
- David states his core business philosophy [07:31]
- Need to balance passion and business sense while running and managing a business [09:14]
- As a gym owner, is possible to have proper work-life balance? [14:00]
- David’s advice to young people who are planning on venturing into business; we state the importance of having the right values [16:14]
- Changes that David’s foresees in the training world; we talk about the need to question age old equipment designs [23:41]
- The wisdom of using high grade, insured gym equipment [28:25]
- The current state of the accessory market [29:51]
- Always get a NDA signed before sharing a new product idea with anyone [30:23]
- The increasing popularity of multi-purpose machines due to space constraints [33:03]
- How has powerlifting evolved over the years? What does the future hold for powerlifting? [33:45]
- Value your knowledge instead of succumbing to each and every new fad [37:31]
- Need to gain some basic information about how a body works [41:39]
- Discussing the current trend to lift instead of with gear [42:13]
- Analyzing the current trend where a majority of federations are fading out and a select few are coming to the fore [45:45]
- Do you think powerlifters of the yore would be able to match up current lifting records? [47:24]
- Challenges of mastering geared lifting [47:49]
- Mike states his favorite powerlifters and recounts his favorite lifts [51:00]
- The influence that WPO had on the sport in initial years [53:00]
- Mike’s advice for mature athletes to enable them to continue lifting [54:29]
- Mike talks about the efforts in the field of autism; check out his video on his YouTube channel [56:50]