The strength and fitness industry has for too long been dominated by overly-tan, annoyingly-loud YouTube celebrities with less than factual content, aka broscience. Tune in to Strength Chat – hosted by a group of Coaches and Athletes with over 60 years of combined experience – as they talk fact, science, and strength with world-renowned strength, conditioning, and rehab professionals.
Today’s guest is Cameron Josse!
Cameron Josse is the Director of Sports Performance at DeFranco’s Gym at the Onnit Academy. He has worked with DeFranco’s Gym owner Joe DeFranco since he was 17 years old. As a former athlete in DeFranco’s training programs, Cameron was exposed to Joe’s unique approach to developing all the tools needed to succeed in athletics, eventually landing him on staff at DeFranco’s Gym. Cameron has worked with a wide variety of athletes, from youth all the way up to professional. He uses his experience as a former high school and collegiate athlete to enable him to connect with the athletes he deals with on a daily basis. Coupling all of the core principles of DeFranco’s Gym in addition to the unconventional training methods found at Onnit, Cameron aims to create fully optimized athletes that dominate on the field of play.
- Introduction and background of guest [06:36]
- Importance of keeping an open mind in coaching [13:26]
- Building relationships is critical for success [15:31]
- The origins of velocity based training [18:07]
- The struggles that athletes faced while finding speed [21:12]
- Velocity deficits and how to deal with it [22:57]
- Inability to contract muscles when you are velocity deficient [25:15]
- Experimenting with a powerlifter’s (Minimal Velocity Threshold) MVT to enhance performance [26:15]
- Average and optimal MVT levels for powerlifters [26:58]
- Favorable physical attributes in powerlifters that result in extremely high MVT [28:08]
- Do good genetics help athletes improve speed? [30:32]
- The importance of intent and trying harder in order to increase your velocity [32:20]
- Cameron shares details about his varied client profiles [35:00]
- Learning about Cameron’s experience of training WWE wrestlers [36:45]
- The challenges Cameron faced while training the WWE legend, Undertaker [37:44]
- Managing Maximal strength and energy system development while training professional wrestlers [41:47]
- Common deficits witnessed in high school athletes [44:40]
- Cameron shares his contact details [49:54]