The strength and fitness industry has for too long been dominated by overly-tan, annoyingly-loud YouTube celebrities with less than factual content, aka broscience. Tune in to Strength Chat – hosted by a group of Coaches and Athletes with over 60 years of combined experience – as they talk fact, science, and strength with world-renowned strength, conditioning, and rehab professionals.
Lee Taft, known to most simply as “The Speed Guy”, is highly respected as one of the top athletic movement specialists in the world!
Sound like something we might be interested in? Sure is!
Our hosts sit down with Lee and talk about multi-directional speed – Lee’s specialty – and why it’s important to athletic development. They discuss the “6 basic movements” and their integration into strength and speed training. Of course, plenty of other topics and touched on and discussed as well!
- Introduction and background of guest [03:58]
- Have coaches realized that multi-directional speed has led to higher athletic development? [05:45]
- Lee explains how he teaches speed to athletes [07:02]
- Describing the six basic movements and how we integrate these into different sports [09:27]
- Change direction without risk of injury – importance of proper joint alignment [13:04]
- Learn how reactive core training can help deal with change of position [15:23]
- Why are kids quick in changing direction? What can athletes learn how the innate “fight or flight” ability that kids possess? [16:40]
- Lee lists some generalities that he stick to while strength training athletes [21:01]
- Does strength training become less important as he builds his skill? [23:40]
- Balancing strength and fluidity in sports [24:25]
- Lee explains how he increases his client’s velocity in the absence of sophisticated measurement tools [26:23]
- Balancing technology and convention is critical for training athletes in the right manner [28:56]
- The role of upper body in rotational training [31:23]
- Tips and tricks to train a high speed; we talk about the importance of performing at a sub conscious level [36:07]
- We discuss current trends in physical preparation [39:28]
- Training athletes to change direction while sprinting [43:36]
- Lee shares details about the various kinds of coaches that he works with and his different training approaches [46:19]
- Learn how Lee transitioned into the fitness industry [47:27]
- The usage of videos in Lee’s training regime [49:52]