Subscribe to the podcast via iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or simply listen to it on this page using the media player above!!
The strength and fitness industry has for too long been dominated by overly-tan, annoyingly-loud YouTube celebrities with less than factual content, aka broscience. Tune in to Strength Chat – hosted by a group of Coaches and Athletes with over 60 years of combined experience – as they talk fact, science, and strength with world-renowned strength, conditioning, and rehab professionals.
Dan McKim is one of the most decorated highland games athletes in history, with 4 world titles and 6 national titles. Tune in to learn more about Dan’s past and his experience being an elite-level athlete in an awesome sport that many don’t know about. Dan provides you, the listener, with resources if you are interested in training for, or competing in highland games.
Another great episode with one of the top professionals in his field! As always, share, comment, like, review and tell all your friends about Strength Chat!
- Introduction and background of guest [00:17]
- How is Kabuki Strength pushing the cause of Special Olympics Powerlifting forward? Check out our fundraising campaign in order to know more [01:58]
- What are Daniel’s achievements in highland games? [05:36]
- What do highland games involve? How can you become a highland games pro? [06:15]
- What is the typical background of athletes who end up performing in highland games? [07:43]
- How does Daniel train for highland games? [08:52]
- Are highland games a technique driven sport? Or, can you get away with pure strength training? [11:13]
- Is there a lightweight division in the highland games? Or, it is only the big guys who perform? [13:41]
- Daniel shares how he initially trained to get bigger in order to compete in the highland games [15:12]
- Daniel discusses how it is important to peak at the right time; is it possible to peak for every competition? [15:26]
- What is Daniel’s training approach? Will focusing too much on technique result in poor gains? [17:17]
- Benefits of reducing an athletes in-season workload; we discuss the importance of avoiding de-training and maintaining training loads [19:23]
- How long has Daniel been maintaining his early morning training regimen? [21:14]
- Should you aim to make your training process more enjoyable? [21:50]
- Discussing the importance of being focused during training season [22:55]
- What has been Daniel’s biggest challenge so far? [25:35]
- Learn how Daniel got obsessed with highland games [27:32]
- Daniel’s advice for folks with zero throwing experience who wish to compete in highland games [31:60]
- What is the minimum equipment that you need in order to start training for highland games? [33:18]
- Daniel shares details of this training program, “Behemoth”; which are some great resources that will help you train for highland games? [35:05]
- Learn about the spoof video series that Daniel has created which good naturedly pokes funs at fitness coaches [37:15]
- Get in touch with Daniel through Facebook or Instagram [40:11]